Sunday, March 30, 2014

How To Make A Chalkboard With An Antique Frame.

If you take a look at Pinterest these days you've probably seen your fair share of chalkboards.  There are chalkboards painted on silver trays, glass in pictures, mirrors, wood and much, much more.  I've seen amazing quotes, songs, pictures and scripture drawn on chalkboards and thought, 
I'd really love to make one myself.  

Like all things on Pinterest though....I like it and then do nothing. 





 
Well my hubby had a 150 yr. old English mirror frame, made out of Fruitwood.  He'd been talking about turning it into a chalkboard for at least a year now.  I was totally in love with this frame.  It had a unique shape and a beautiful old wood tone.  It had cracks where the frame had been pieced together, adding to the beauty and character.  
 



We went to Lowe's and purchased a quart of Valspar chalkboard paint.  It is not the "chalk" paint I've been using to paint furniture though.  It's actually called "chalkboard" paint and they are different.  Hubby also picked up a piece of quarter inch thick, Lauan Plywood, in a 4x8 sheet for $15.00.   




He  placed the mirror backing, down on the plywood to make a pattern.  He then used a jigsaw to cut out the shape.  Once the shape was cut out, he proceeded to sand the edges.  I was supposed to do the sanding but I was not available at the time....poor timing...or good timing? lol





Next, I wiped down the board with a cloth to get all the dust off.  The Lauan has a weird primer on one side so we flipped it over and used the matte and unfinished side.  We rolled on the chalkboard paint with a small foam roller and let it sit over night.  The next day we realized it left a texture that was slightly bumpy and we didn't like it.  Hubby painted on the second coat with a brush this time and it was perfect.  Again, I was not around to do the second coat...good or bad timing? :)  



This is actually after the first coat.  I did not take a picture of it after the second coat using a brush.


After letting it dry over night, he put the board into the frame.  It was gorgeous!  I can't tell you how excited I was to see that lovely wood "pop" off the black of the chalkboard.  The curves of the frame really stood out...it was as lovely as I imagined it would be.

It was now time to add some art to the chalkboard.

I went to the computer and searched quotes and scripture graphics.  I found the one I liked best and printed it out.  After doing a little bit of research on making chalkboards, I found there are a few tricks that an unsuspecting pinterest viewer like myself, wouldn't know.  Some of the tips are a little bit more involved than I wanted...like making a graph...using math equations to figure out spacing...folding and graphing your text...and so on.  Let's just say I was not in the mood to do math.    Really.....am I ever?  No.





The only tips I used were these two.  Use water and season your board before you draw on it.
Using white chalk, I put it on it's side and went over the entire board.  Be sure to cover the entire area good...not too hard but definitely use some pressure.  The reason for this, is so you don't get "ghost" lines.  This happens when you don't season your board and you draw on it, then erase it and then the words reappear.  If you season the board and then wipe it down with a dry cloth, you can avoid this from happening.


After seasoning the board, I drew my scripture graphics.  I dipped my chalk into the water before drawing.  When I made a mistake, I used a wet paper towel to erase it.  The chalk will appear light when you dip it in water and draw.  It will get darker and brighter as it drys.  Trust me...this is the best tip!  It works amazingly! 



I played around with different accessories for the vignette.  I thought this looked too wintery so I changed it.

When I finished the scripture, I just embellished it with different kinds of flowers, hearts and vines.  Just get creative and have fun!  This reminded me of how I would doodle on my school binders when I was in school....only this time it's purposeful and not mindless. lol





You know me...I've got to take close ups of flowers. :)
I am loving this chalkboard.  I love the scripture and as I was drawing, I kept saying ..."I really, really want this for myself".  I even asked if I could keep it.   Unfortunately, it was a negative.... hubby still wants to sell it.  Boo on him. Luckily, I had the clever idea to have him make me a template with the left over Lauan plywood. :)





Doesn't the little bunny look like he's looking up and reading the board? :)



Although I won't have the fabulous English Fruitwood frame...... perhaps I'll be getting my own chalkboard with that amazing shape, in the very near future. 

Wink wink.
 
post signature
I linked up here:
Our Sunday's Best
Inspire Me Monday
Inspire Me Tuesday
The Scoop
Be Inspired
Wow Us Wednesday
Delineate Your Dwelling
Put A Bird On It

The Dedicated House

10 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, love love love this!!!! It came out so beautifully and looks amazing displayed! I love that chalk tip for writing, I've never heard that before! You're awesome, LeeLee! This is such a great way to make use of that beautiful frame!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pamela! I know, I love old frames.....I just wish I could keep it. :) That's ok though, it'll just give me a reason to look for something equally amazing! Hope you're doing well and your little man is keeping a smile on your face. Oh, I also hope you're getting sleep!

      Delete
  2. Leelee, this turned out gorgeous! (I love your 'timing'-ha!) Your little bunny is soo cute, and he does look like he's reading the chalkboard! Great job :)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan. :) I'm pretty sure my hubby doesn't like my "timing". lol. It works for me though. lol. Glad you liked it...honestly pictures don't do it justice. That wood is just amazing!

      Delete
  3. Wow! You did a fabulous job! I love the photo's with the flowers in front of it.... So artsy.....
    Wishing you a happy Tuesday!! :)
    “hugs” Crystelle
    Crystelle Boutique

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Crystelle and back at you for this Tuesday! Thank you so much for your comments and I'm glad you think the flower pics were artsy. :} You know...I try. LOL I actually do love taking close up pics of flowers....so I'm sure they'll be more where that came from. ;)

      Delete
  4. I just pinned this one. Looks beautiful. I would love for you to share on my Chic By You Link Party @ http://chicbytab.blogspot.ca/2014/04/chic-by-you-wednesday-link-party-6.html. Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Tabatha! I love that you pinned it! I will definitely check out your party. Thanks for the invite!
      :)

      Delete
  5. This is beautiful and it fits the space so well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ashley! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! It's so nice to meet you and hope to talk soon!
      Leelee

      Delete

I'm so glad you're here and I'd love for you to leave a comment so we can talk!